Step Parent Adoption

When a parent remarries and the new spouse wishes to adopt the parent’s child, the birth parent and the new spouse may petition together for the new spouse to adopt the child. If certain circumstances exist, such as the birth parent consents, is deceased, or has legally abandoned the child, the Circuit Court may grant the adoption and name change without referring the case to the local director of social services. However, in more complex cases when consent cannot be obtained, the Circuit Court may order an investigation by the Department of Social Services. Our attorneys can help you determine whether a step parent adoption is possible in your case and assist you in filing the necessary paperwork to finalize the adoption.

Learn More About Us

m FL